Thursday, January 8, 2009

Maids

  To maintain a household is a daily commitment that is why we need to hire maids to help us get through the chores of the day. Sometimes, God blesses us with efficient househelp that we wish would stay with us forever. Yet it isn't always like that. It is not uncommon that our househelp have their own off-days-when they have mood swings.
  Due to our many bad experiences with maids, my husband and I sometimes try to hold back being nice because we really think letting down our guard is tantamount to opening a well to familiarity that will only lead to abuso. We've been a victim of that not once but many times already. My husband and I have had our own share of troublesome indays as we have had trustworthy, for keeps indays too.
  I remember the yaya of my three kids who had just left a week ago. She had been with us for five years and we treated her as part of the family. The day came when she found out that she had a lump on her breast. We brought her to our family doctor for check up and the doctor said that she has to go for a mammogram because she had multiple lumps on her breasts. So we decided to let her have a mammography at St. Lukes Hospital. Luckily, the result was good. The lumps on her breasts were found non-malignant. I was so worried of her that I gave her a rosary and I even prayed for her everytime I went to the church. We let her drink lemongrass juice at least seven times a day because we found out from a friend that lemongrass can help cure cancer. A week before Christmas, my husband and I noticed a change in her attitude. She always answers back when we reprimand her about something she did wrong. Then she decided to leave after Christmas. What is worst was that she didn't tell us about her plan of leaving. And before she left, she burned my baby's tongue while feeding him with hot food. I was really disappointed at her that I actually allowed her to leave right away.
  We also had a yaya who tends to hurt my second child when he was still a toddler. She is a very quiet type of person that you can never imagine her doing that. But she did and there were lots of witnesses. 
  Last year January 2008, my wedding ring was stolen by our maid. I thought that she was a trustworthy one but I was wrong. She left the house without permission the moment she heard that I was looking for my wedding ring. We really can't tell if and when they might give in to a moment of weakness.
  Some of our maids before who borrowed money from us when they go back to their province for a vacation didn't come back anymore. They always say that they are coming back in a week but sadly it did not happen. 
  The lessons I've learned from all the experiences we've had is that don't try to be too close to your helpers. Be a friend to them but be strict and firm also on certain things. It is right to treat them like family but always put a limit to it. You're still the employer and they have to respect you. Another lesson is don't trust too much.  Just because you trust them doesn't always mean they will prove worthy of that trust.

No comments: